April 23, 2015 -- The news is not quite so good for the striped bass.
Once touted as one of the great conservation success stories of the 1990s, the popular game fish has seen a precipitous drop in numbers in recent years, prompting the state Department of Marine Fisheries to tighten restrictions on recreational anglers.
Apr 23, 2015
Mayor Mitchell urged the Council to adopt Alternative 7 for Georges Bank and Alternative 5 for the Great South Channel.
- Fluke Fairness bills introduced by Chuck Schumer, Lee Zeldin
- House panel told of modern-day slavery around world, including abuse in Thai seafood industry
- Menendez and Pallone Announce Legislation to Ban Offshore Drilling in the Atlantic
- FDA Cancels Enforcement of Import Alert 16-08 for Mercury in Swordfish
- Standards for organic seafood coming this year, USDA says
- RAY HILBORN: Analysis Shows California Sardine Decline Not Caused by Too High Harvest Rate
- OCEANA: Five Year Anniversary of BP Oil Disaster Highlights Risks of Expanding Offshore Drilling into New Areas
- BOSTON GLOBE: Some better news for haddock, and fishermen
- PETER ANTHONY, NORDIC FISHERIES: Size of closures not as important as effectiveness
- Fisheries council fails to agree on scallopers' wish to enter long-closed areas
- Latest on fishery regulations: protections added in Cox Ledge as council wraps until June
- Fishing Regulators Approve Some New England Habitat Changes
- ASMFC 2015 Spring Meeting Final Agenda and Meeting Materials Now Available
- Fishery Regulators Vote to Keep Cashes Ledge Protected
- EU Lifts Warning Against Philippines on Illegal Fishing
- Scallop Fishery First Chinese Fishery to Achieves MSC Certification
- Thailand Rushes to Fix Illegal Fishing After EU Ban Threat
- EU threatens Thailand with fish product ban
- MSC Global Meeting Hears Progress; Debate on Social Issues and Whether MSC Should Advocate
- Mainer’s vote disallowed on New England fishery council
- NEFMC Names Journalist Janice Plante the First Recipient of its Annual Award for Excellence
- Fisheries council expected to vote on opening scallop grounds
- Reminder - NEFMC Herring Amendment 8 Final Scoping Hearing, April 20, 2015
- Webinar Invitation - NEFMC Meeting, April 21-23, 2015 and Updated Agenda with Habitat Amendment details
- In Massachusetts, Station Gloucester team tows fishing crew to safety
- Man lost at sea for 2 months caught fish, collected rainwater
- Man rescued after 66 days at sea is 'utterly thankful and grateful'
- Coast Guard searches for man overboard off Nantucket
- DNV GL Launches New Safety Regulations for US Fishing Fleet